Bake: 30 mins 375°F
Cook: 10 mins
- 6 large zucchini (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices bacon (about 1/4 pound), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup packaged unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cut 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick lengthwise slice from each zucchini. Chop the slices and reserve.
3. Using a melon baller or small spoon and starting from cut side, scoop out most of flesh from each zucchini, leaving a shell. Chop together the flesh and add the reserved chopped slices. Reserve the zucchini boats.
4. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped bacon; cook 3 minutes. Stir in chopped zucchini mixture, onion salt, garlic powder, nutmeg and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in bread crumbs and 3/4 cup of cheese.
5. Spoon about 1/2 cup filling into each zucchini boat. Place in prepared baking dish. Add 1/4 cup hot water to dish; cover dish with foil.
6. Bake in 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle tops of zucchini with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(gm)17
- Saturated fat(gm)7
- Dietary Fiber, total(gm)1
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet